The chilly weather over the past week has got me sipping all kinds of warming beverages, from hot water with lemon to an old favorite, matcha tea. In addition to its soothing taste, this beautiful green powder is a total powerhouse superfood. In fact, Japanese tea farmers have been growing it for over 1,000 years to obtain its health benefits! This type of tea is unusual in that the whole leaf is ground and consumed, as opposed to conventional green tea where the plant is simply seeped in water.
- METABOLISM BOOSTING. It contains a powerful antioxidant, EGCG, which is known to boost metabolism. One cup of matcha has 137 times the amount as a conventional cup of green tea.
- ANTI-CANCER. One bowl of matcha contains as many antioxidants as 10 cups of green tea.
- STRESS RELIEF. It is high in L-theanine, an amino acid helpful in reducing stress and lowering blood pressure.
- DETOXIFYING. For several weeks before the matcha plant is harvested it is shaded from the sun. This forces the plant to compensate for the lack of light by producing extra chlorophyll, a potent detoxifying compound that binds to toxins in the blood.
In addition to these incredible benefits, I also love matcha because it gives me steady energy without the jitters and, when prepared such as below, it’s filling and will help satisfy sugar cravings!
Collagen Matcha Latte Recipe
Matcha Latte Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1 scoop collagen* (optional)
- 1 Tbs coconut butter
- 1 tsp matcha
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp raw honey (local is best!)
Heat the water and milk together in a pot
Blend, sip and enjoy!
*Not all collagen is created equal. Many brands (are low quality and produce their product from unhealthy animals. Need a recommendation?
This collagen is my favorite because it has hydrolyzed collagen 2 — this is the only form of collagen that can be absorbed by cells as a complete collagen. Most other collagen molecules are digested and used by the body (treated like a protein) rather than absorbed. Hydrolyzed collagen 2 is incredible for hair, skin and nails!
Have you tried matcha before? Do you have a favorite brand? How was it prepared? Share with me below!