Friends. I discovered something amazing! So, I have a bit of a sweet tooth, and my self-compromise is to only eat “sweets” that are somewhat healthy and homemade. I have a particular preference for baked goods like brownies, cupcakes and banana bread, and I have a few select blogs (I’ll share these at the bottom) that are my go-to’s for finding healthy alternatives for these treats. The other day I was browsing through one of said blogs, and I stumbled upon this awesome recipe!
It is a great, lower sugar option that will help satisfy any sweet tooth. It includes almond flour, which is an excellent flour alternative in baking as it is lower in carbohydrates, high in fiber, and higher in healthy fats. This combo will help maintain stable blood sugar levels, rather than causing a dramatic spike like most conventional baked goods with white flour will.
Raw cacao is another powerful ingredient full of antioxidants. It is high in both magnesium and calcium, and provides mood-boosting benefits, which is ideal on gloomy days like we’ve been having.
So let’s get into it.
Double Chocolate Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oats (old fashion or quick oats)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 Tbs milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/3-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips*
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries*
- Preheat over to 350F. Grease a muffin tin or line with paper cups.
- In a large bowl stir together dry ingredients (almond flour, oats, cacao, baking soda and powder, and cinnamon).
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Fold in chocolate chips and cranberries, if using.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until a fork inserted comes out clean.
*I opted to leave these ingredients out to reduce the sugar content, and they were just as incredible!
Makes ~10 muffins
Recipe adopted from Joyous Health.
For additional healthy dessert inspiration, check out Chocolate Covered Katie!
Do you have a favorite healthy dessert recipe? Share with me below!
3 thoughts on “Double Chocolate Muffins”
These are amazing!! Ate 4 of them today, probably not the idea of eating healthy alternatives but couldn’t help it. Great choice Rossella!!
Glad you liked them!